The Office of the City Legal Officer is the chief legal counsel for the City Government of Davao mandated to formulate measures for the consideration of the local legislature and provide legal assistance and support to the Local Chief Executive in carrying out the delivery of basic services to the public. The office was established through the Local Government Code of 1991, enacted on 1st January 1992.
Section 481, b of the LGC 1991 states that the Office of the City legal Officer shall take charge of the office of legal services and shall:
- Formulate measures for the consideration of the Sanggunian and provide legal assistance and support to the governor or mayor, as the case may be, in carrying out the delivery of basic services and provisions of adequate facilities as provided for under Section 17 of this Code;
- Develop plans and strategies and upon approval thereof by the governor or mayor, as the case may be, implement the same, particularly those which have to do with programs and projects related to legal services which the governor or mayor is empowered to implement and which the Sanggunian is empowered to provide for under this Code
- In addition to the foregoing duties and functions, the legal officer shall:
- Represent the local government unit in all civil actions and special proceedings wherein the local government unit or any official thereof, in his official capacity, is a party:
- When required by the Governor, Mayor or Sanggunian, draft ordinances, contracts, bonds, leases and other instruments, involving any interest of the local government unit and provide comments and recommendations on any instrument already drawn;
- Render his opinion in writing on any question of law when requested to do so by the Governor, Mayor or Sanggunian;
- Investigate or cause to be investigated any local official or employee for administrative neglect or misconduct in office, and recommend appropriate action to the Governor, Mayor or Sanggunian, as the case may be;
- Investigate or cause to be investigated any person, firm or corporation holding any franchise or exercising any public privilege for failure to comply with any term or condition in the grant of such franchise or privilege, and recommending appropriate action to the Governor, Mayor or Sanggunian, as the case may be;
- When directed by the Governor, Mayor or Sanggunian, initiate and prosecute in the interest of the local government unit concerned any civil action on any bond, lease or other contract upon any breach or violation thereof; and
- Review and submit recommendations on ordinances approved and execute orders issued by component units;
- Recommend measures to the Sanggunian and advise the governor or mayor as the case may be on all other matters related to upholding the rule of law;
- Be in the frontline of protecting human rights and prosecuting any violations thereof, particularly those which occur during and in the aftermath of man-made or natural disasters or calamities; and
- Exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as may be prescribed by law or ordinance.
The Office of the City Legal Officer is located at Room 24, 2nd Floor City Hall Building, City Hall Drive, Davao City. You may contact them through (082) 241-1000 or email them at email@example.com.