2 September 2022
Mayor Sebastian Duterte on Friday led the commemoration rites for the victims of the terrorist bomb attack on the Roxas Night Market six years ago.
The attack left over a dozen people dead and dozens other wounded.
Duterte led the candle-lighting ceremony at the Roxas bombing memorial marker. He was joined by Task Force Davao Commander Darren Comia, City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO) Head Marlisa Gallo, families and relatives of the victims and other public officials.
Duterte, who offered flowers at the Roxas memorial marker, said the incident “continues to serve as a reminder that threats to our safety and security still exist.”
He said the attack will keep on inspiring the city’s security cluster to “remain ever vigilant.”
“Since then, we have intensified our efforts in security,” he added.
The mayor also pledged the city government’s assistance for the victims’ families.
Gallo said the city continues to provide monetary and educational assistance to the victim’s families and dependents.
She said 33 beneficiaries have received educational assistance, two of whom have graduated from college. Of these, 15 are in primary school, nine are in high school, four are in senior high and five are in college.
“Ang tutok gyud sa CSWDO kay kadtong educational assistance sa mga bata, kadtong pamilya sa mga nabilin. Six years, naa na pu’y nakagraduate, hopefully tanan sila atong ma-pagraduate (The CSWDO is really focusing on educational assistance for the children, those families that were left behind. After six years, some have already graduated, hopefully we can help all of them to graduate,” Gallo said. CIO